Saturday 12 March 2011

Seriously Saturday Nite in Milan

Been gone from home for about 10 days now.  I am seriously Euro trashed now.  Today I hit a wall.  Albeit a tasty and beautiful one, but a wall just the same.  I am ready to leave Milan...after I buy a brick of Parmegiano Reggiano tomorrow.  Tonite, I ate leftovers from lunch for dinner.  I simply could not go out for dinner one more time.  Too much of a good thing is still too much.  I swear to God I am happy we are going to Poland tomorrow, because if I don't get away from the endless supply of croissant, pane de chocolata, blah blah, butter and chocolate, blah blah blah, I am going to vomit.  I hate to complain, but I have quite literally been a kid in a pastry shop.  Every breakfast we have croissant.  Today, I figured I would skip, counter balance with an egg white omelette with broccoli for breakfast.  I ate broccoli for dinner last night too.  Craving veggies to flush the sugar and butter from my pores.

Tonite, as Jess and I got off of the last of our train rides...about 6 rides now, we were just cruising through the train station like we were locals.  It didn't even phase us.  Screaming Italians bustling all around and we could have cared less.  We have Euro-ized.

I did laundry in the sink tonite.  Everything has lost the smell of Tide.  Luckily I brought some little squeezy packs along so my jammies smell like home.  It's the little things in life.

Things I am learning about myself on this trip:

  • I can't be rattled anymore.  I just can't.  I don't have the energy or time.  I have taken WTF to WFC (who f'n cares).  
  • We are doing it wrong in US.  They closed up shop at noon today to go home and sleep or whatever...and opened back up at 3:00p.  Serious ghost town until 3:00 when it was like a locust plague of Italians poured into the streets.  There is NO economic downturn in Como, Italy, my friends.  NONE. 
  • I almost had my wedding rings stolen from my hand yesterday because I didn't want to be rude and tell the man to stop shaking my hand.  I'm too naive.  
  • I love adventure, as much as I don't think I do.  
  • I see amazing in stupid things.  I was laughing so hard when I was in the le' toilette and Elvis was singing "I Can't Help Falling in Love with You".  In Como, Italy!  
  • I wish I was a food photographer for a living.  I love to photograph it.  Colorful and enticing.
  • I love packaging.  I love to read all the stupid call out copy...see the funny shapes...and of course, photograph it.
  • If I want to do it bad enough, I can.  Example:  I will not walk across my living room to find the remote to change channel on tv.  However, I walked for 2.5 hours yesterday just because I wanted to "walk home from work in Italy".  2.5 hrs = 4 miles...lots of stopping to photograph and talk to people (and thieves). 
  • I have an excellent sense of direction.  See above.  no map, no directions, just memory from cab ride that morning.  And landmarks such as a giant Gelato bar that caught my eye and I found my way back to hotel!
  • I always knew I never met a stranger.  But I will LITERALLY talk to anyone.  I don't know why I don't care who they are or what they do, I will still approach with a question or comment.  (see thief above)
  • I will shop forever at a flea market, even if my feet are bleeding and it's approaching dark and 40 degrees.  The thrill of the hunt is like no other excitement for me. 
  • I have not watched tv in 10 days and I have survived.  I think I need to use this time to detox.  Of course, I have been typing on laptop so that is considered addition switching isn't it?  Ok, so not alot of progress there.
  • Speaking of addictions, I have a new one.  After 13 years working at Electronic Arts, I have become addicted to a video game (not one of hours, LOL).  My Ipad has introduced me to Plants v. Zombies and I have it on my iphone too.  Steve Jobs has literally turned me into a gadget geek.  I'd say I am a delayed early adopter that dives in big, once I finally get suited up.  I rock a macbook, ipod touch, ipod classic, nano, iphone and Ipad.  Ay ya yi.   
Enjoy some pics from the trip so far!  Kate and Cole in Geneva...Geneva...Jessica...All 3...Lyon...EA Lyon...Milano Chocolate Salami.  (Don't ask how it taste because the shop was closed.  Dangit)
Off to bed because Warsaw, Poland awaits.  I better Google some translations tuit suit'.  Whatever.

xoxo

ColeyB

PS, Kate went home on Friday so she is not in Milan with us.  Miss you Katey-kins.  Can't wait to see you in Poland tomorrow nite.  Jess and I are having a General Lie In tomorrow until we depart for Lufthansa gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment